Total Pageviews

Monday, September 12, 2011

A Year Ago -


GBE 2: Blog On
WEEK #17 (9-11-11 to 9-17-11): ONE YEAR AGO




One year ago today, I lost my job.  One year ago, I was fighting my last employer for Unemployment, and won.  One year ago, my baby sister was still alive.  One year ago, I will filled with optimistic assurance that I would be employed very soon.  One year ago, I still had a lot of hope for the future.  One year ago, I was filled with determination.  One year ago, I was a year younger.

I’m a little sad today.  It is the one year anniversary of losing my job. 

I spent ten months with a goal of applying for a minimum of seven jobs per day.  Most days I made that quota.  Most days I spent 8 to 10 hours at the computer.  Yep, I had a couple interviews.  Mostly, the young pups wanted to glean information from me, without employing me.  Although the oddest interview I have ever been on was for Toys-R-Us. 

I had applied for a Department Supervisor position at Toys-R-US.  I was actually rather elated that they called me in within just a few days.  I got to the store and was told to go to the furthest corner and stand under an emergency exit sign, that someone would be with me soon.  I walked back to the exit sign , stood and waited, then heard an announcement over the loud speakers that “anyone who was there for an employment interview please come to the Customer Service window”.  Seeing the other nine people waiting for interviews, I was a little hang-jaw.  To my utter dismay, we were herded into a sweltering room and told to color then play with play dough, for an hour and a half.  At which time the 22 year old human resource supervisor told us “I’m not certain what type of a job you all applied for, but we ONLY hire seasonal  part time people to work the floor”.  I stayed the full two and a half hours for the interview, and got my rejection e-mail within two days.

One year ago today, I began my career as a job seeker/story teller. Gotta find something that pays….

3 comments:

  1. I feel this, it's been a tough year for so many. Wishing you good luck on either finding a good job or hitting it big with one of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, it has been a rough year all around. I'm sorry about your sister and hope your job prospects start to look up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about the loss of your sister.

    ReplyDelete